Four miners died last Friday.
Implats’ Chief Executive Officer, Terence Goodlace, confirmed the closure after a fire at 14 Shaft.
He said the measure was taken as a need to “redouble” company efforts to achieve zero harm.
“We have resolved to close the entire mine to engage the full workforce on our safety readiness and emergency awareness before contemplating reopening the 14 Shaft underground workings again.”
On Sunday evening, mine management continued efforts to extinguish the fire in the main underground decline at 14 Shaft.
Early indications were that extensive damage had been caused to the conveyor, monorail, power and air reticulation systems.
While gas readings continued to decrease in the underground working areas, they still remained dangerously high and power has not been restored to the bottom section of the shaft area.
Mineral Resources Minister, Mosebenzi Zwane, was at the mine during the afternoon to obtain a full report from mine management.
Zwane also met families of the deceased employees’ families.
Goodlace meanwhile offered the company’s condolences.
“This is a tragic loss for everybody and our heartfelt condolences are with the families of the deceased,” he said.
Further updates will be made when information becomes available, Implats stated.
– CAJ News